Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Microblog Monday: The silver lining





It happened today as I casually wove my minivan through the post office parking lot, thankful to have met that 5:00 deadline.

Everything was normal. Nothing about this errand suggested that God was going to teach me a huge lesson about the last three years of loss.

As I rounded the last corner, I saw it. The ginormous storm cloud that would later dump rain on our little house as we ate homemade chicken soup gathered around our red dining table.

Creeping over the edges of the cloud was a golden hue that glowed in such a bright metallically yellow, I wondered why they called it a silver lining. 

And then it hit me. 

I've always thought of silver linings as a token "something good" to hope for or count on in a storm of life. As in, "well, they may have all died, but at least I'm a more compassionate person now ..."

All wrong. 

The silver lining is a promise. 

It is a promise that, just like the powerful sun and clear skies far above ... there is something so much greater, so much stronger, so much more breathtaking beyond this storm cloud. 

I just can't see it all from my perspective down on earth. But the silver lining promises there is a purpose, a glory, and a God that is just behind that storm cloud, just out of sight. 

Mostly out of sight. 

God gives me the silver linings so I have enough to trust him. To know that while the storm may rage, He is always right there, just behind the clouds.


3 comments:

  1. Lovely. I saw this today, on my way in ... it was a strange stormy/sunny morning, and there was a sudden break in the clouds when it seemed like a hand was reaching down from the sky to the earth. Astonishingly beautiful. And not a boon, but a promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your perspective on this. Food for thought, and definitely inspiring way to look at it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you just made me look at clouds in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete